Monday, August 20, 2012

Madness in Lima

When we got off the plane at Lima airport, I was a wreck. I didn't get much sleep, and being in a new place, I was pretty freaked out.

I couldn't understand anyone, and forgot to check my bag. So I got all the way to security thinking that something was wrong, and I was right. I had to go back downstairs to find the ticket counter so I could get my boarding pass, and check my bag. The latter didn't happen. By the time I got down there, they said my flight had closed, and there was nothing they could do about it. So I went upstairs to get it shipped to my host family's house. Good thing it only cost 40 dollars.

After that, I assumed that my plane had left and there was nothing I could do about it, so I went to my gate anyways. They gave me a standby ticket, so I waited for the next flight. Of course, I was freaking out by then, in tears and a total wreck. I met a couple from Arizona who was very helpful. Thank God. The lady talked to me about her first time flying alone, and she also wasn't the calmest person in the world. It made me feel a little better.

So then we waited, and waited. And I waited until the flight was boarded, then I waited some more. Then finally they said there was a seat open.


So now here I am, sitting in the very first row of a plane that is four seats across, finally leaving the Lima airport to go to Arequipa where hopefully my host family is still waiting for me.

Not even a full day in and I've already learned that it's hard to be strong in new situations.

-abrazos y besos de Peru.

Location:Lima airport

2 comments:

  1. ZOE! I hope you are ok did you call yuou mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, but, sounds like you handled it like a champ anyway.

    ReplyDelete