Sunday, September 16, 2012

One month (well, close enough)

So, it's already been a month, and I feel so at home here. I've decided to make a "list" of things that I've noticed are very different than my average life in the USA.

1. Pedestrians never have the right-of-way. Ever. When walking the streets, people can't just walk into the road and assume that cars will stop. They generally don't.
2. There are a lot of stray dogs here. Which makes me sad. Quite a few of them are very cute.
3. The English that they learn hear is very different than the English that we grew up with as kids. Instead of our 'American English' it's more formal. And our never realize how hard it is to learn your native language until you have to learn it in class.
4. More on streets. There are a lot of taxis and busses that seem to rule the roads. The taxi drivers are very impatient with traffic and overuse their horns. Combis are small busses that are very cheep. They stop wherever they are flagged down, and they cram as many people on them as possible.
5. They always wear some sort of shoes in their house. The freedom of walking around barefoot isn't something they enjoy.
6. It isn't common for girls to wear shorts. Even if it's warm.
7. A lot of the girls don't shave their legs. Maybe because it's 'winter' here and it's cold to them. Tank tops are generally overruled as well, unless they are going out on the weekend.
8. At my house we get fresh bread every day. It's super good.
9. They don't refrigerate their eggs or milk. The eggs taste like fish. The milk I have yet to try by itself.
10. In school, when someone is accepted into a university, it is a tradition for classmates to cut some of their hair off. Because they will get their hair cut before starting at university.
11. They sell what would be common things like toothpaste and shampoo behind counters like they were drugs.
12. Most malls also have a grocery store hooked on, a very smart idea I think.
13. Pandora doesn't work here.
14. They use military time.
15. There is a type of fast food that is shredded chicken, french fries, and hot dogs. Which is one of the best things I've eaten here so far. As well as cow heart.
16. They treat Aeropostale as if it were Holister or Abercrombie and Fitch.
17. Inca Kola is only .57 cents.
18. Everyone wants to know if I have a boyfriend, and what kin of music I listen to. I've decided to make it easy for everyone, I say yes, and that I listen to classical music. So far it's doing a good job.

As of tomorrow I am heading off to Colca Canyon, Puno, Cusco, and Madre de Dios for 9 days with the other exchange students. I am very excited, and hopefully will be uploading a lot of pictures from that trip.


-abrazos y besos de Peru.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best post yet! You see movies in other country's where they drive like that! That's sad about the dogs. So glad you are enjoying your self! We have southern USA slang's I can't understand! Dad listens to classical now it is nice and mellow!

    ReplyDelete